Shanghai 72-hour Visa-free Transit
From Jan. 1, 2013, Shanghai offers 72-hour visa-free transit for foreign visitors with third-country visas and transit at Shanghai. Foreign visitors, who hold passports issued by the 51 countries on the 72-hour Visa-free Transit Policy List and stay in Shanghai for transit for up to 72 hours, can apply for a visa-free transit stay in China at the immigration inspection authority at Shanghai Pudong International Airport or Shanghai Hongqiao International Airport.This policy is only applicable for foreign visitors who enter into, stay in and leave from Shanghai.The 51 countries on the list are:
European Schengen Visa Member Countries (24)
Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland.
Other European Countries (13)
American Countries (6)
Oceanian Countries (2)
Asian Countries (6)
1. It only applies to visitors who transiting through Shanghai Pudong International Airport and Shanghai Hongqiao International Airport. The destination and place of departure cannot be the same.(e.g Auckland – Shanghai - Auckland)
2. It does not apply to passengers who travelling by train, ship or other transportation.
3. Visitors are not allowed to leave the city to other cities during the 72-hour visa-free period. You must depart from the city where you arrive in. For example, you arrived at the Shanghai Pudong International Airport, you must depart from Shanghai, NOT from the Beijing Capital International Airport or other airports.
4. The 72 hours will be counted from the time when the transit permit is granted, not from the time when the flight land at the airport.
5. For more information, please contact:
a. Shanghai Exit and Entry Frontier Inspection Hotline 0086 21 51105100
b. The Exit and Entry Administration of Shanghai Municipal Public Security Bureau Hotline 0086 21 28951900