Four Seasons of the Yellow Mountain
Each of the four seasons on the Yellow Mountain (aka Mt. Huangshan) has their respective beauty but even this can vary from day to day thanks to variations in the weather, light and shade as clouds pass overhead and even around you at the higher reaches. This endless changing adds an emphasis to the wonder of the landscape and to know the mountain thoroughly, you would need to visit the Yellow Mountain in all the different seasons.
Yellow Mountain in spring is like a maiden - all is new, fresh and tender. Spring comes in April but its onset is delayed by three days for every 100 meters as you climb the mountain. Therefore, when wild flowers are brilliant and seedlings are shooting up at its foot, the plants half way up the mountain will be just awakening from their winter sleep and will not exhibit their beauty until a week later. The sound of birdsong is most pleasant in this quietness while you will be enchanted by the color changes as you climb your way up. Spring is probably the most propitious season for visiting Mt. Huangshan and is certainly the best time to view the many waterfalls due to the abundant precipitation.
It is hard to resist the charm of the cool green mountain sides in summer when an exuberance of plant life covers the valleys and peaks with a green blanket. The green trees and ivy mingle to form natural pavilions where you can sit and refresh yourself while enjoying the beautiful scenery with a cooling breeze to sooth you.
Dawn in summer is most splendid as the rising sun lights the sky and the peaks and the plants and the whole world takes on a brilliant glow. After a storm, the Yellow Mountain becomes a world of water. Numerous streams and waterfalls compose an exciting and vigorous symphony. The Sea of Clouds during this season is not as vast as during autumn or winter but it revels in its brightness. If you are really lucky you will see a vivid rainbow flying over two peaks. Sunset is no less enchanting than sunrise. Mt. Huangshan in summer is the best resort in which to escape high temperatures of southern China.
1. July and August are among the peak seasons therefore reservation is a must.
2. It is wise to bring a rainproof jacket with you as the strong wind on the mountain renders an umbrella all but useless and even dangerous.
3. Do not climb the mountain during thunderstorm.
Autumn on the mountain is colorful due to the blue sky, white clouds, red maples and yellow fruits. At this time of the year the scenery can be compared with that of spring but with a mature beauty. If spring is like a bud ready to bloom, autumn is a flower showing its last significance before withering. Such is the beauty of the autumn scenery of the Yellow Mountain that it can be seen in many famous Chinese paintings.
1. Besides the Golden Week of the National Day (Oct 1st to 7th), September and October are also peak seasons of the Yellow Mountain.
2. Bring with you warm clothes so as not to catch a chill as the temperature variation is significant.
Snowy Yellow Mountain is like a crystal palace. Though winter lasts a long time in Huangshan, it is not as cold as you might expect. A poem has it that the Yellow Mountain is beautiful all year round but with the winter scenery being the best. The sea of clouds, one of the four wonders of the Yellow Mountain, appears more often in winter than in any other season. The spectacle of rimed trees sparkling in the sun is the privilege of winter alone for it is then that you may find yourself in a silver world with icy peaks, clusters of frosty corals suffused with a plentiful supply of the freshest of oxygen rich fresh air.
1. Winter is the most economical time for visiting the Yellow Mountain as the prices for hotels and the entry fee are lowered by 15% to 40% compared to those of the peak season. However, Spring Festival is an exception, during which the price is the same as normal seasons.
2. The hotels are centrally heated so you don't have to worry about the cold.
3. Anti-skid shoes are provided as well as heavy coats in most hotels.
Recommended Yellow Mountain Tour Packages